The ability of a child to overcome difficulties with their upper limb function or the existence of visible deformity is not just a feature of the deformity but of their personality, strength and resilience. The child is so much more than a feature of their upper limbs. The family is an essential part of that support mechanism.
Many charities exist that many help with both practical and psychological issues and we include a few of these here:
On-line information for patients
We recognise that the internet can be a minefield of information but this is poorly filtered for those who are searching for help for their children. We provide some information that may be of use.
- PB&J – Protect Your Bones and Joints – A High School Education Program
- Patient Education from the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- YouTube Channel of the British Society for Children’s Orthopaedic Surgery
- Baylee Abbott – The positive power of being different
- “Bionic” Baylee’s personal blog